Saturday, April 14, 2012

Little sleepy

Lunch today was the first picnic of 2012! At least, here in our backyard. I'm sure someone somewhere- like Australia, has had a picnic before now. Apples and grilled cheese sandwiches were eaten, old wrinkly grapes were ignored. I finally gave up and tossed them when I cleaned up after lunch. Don't tell anybody.

Hannah just fell asleep. It is 1:22 am, I put her in bed at 10:00pm. I drank some coffee at 11:00 because it looked like it would be a long night. It worked. I don't know where this child came from- except that many of my earliest memories are of everyone else sleeping. Hmm. But, I grew up in a house full of senior citizens (well, practically) and I just figured they got sleepy earlier than normal people.

At the end of March, Dad and I flew down to Missouri, drove to Arkansas, packed up Aunt Clara's apartment (or gave it away, I guess) and drove her car back up to Alaska. What a great little break from my regular life and chance to spend a little time with my Dad. We went through South Dakota and saw the farms where he grew up and met several relations I hadn't met (I tend to feel like I haven't met most of the family, but I think I have now- I think I'm only lacking 6 first cousins now!).

We had a really fun time stopping to see my closest-in-age cousin and meeting his family. I'd only met him once when he came and (apparently) stayed with us for a month or so 16 or 17 years ago. He is now all grown up with a wonderful wife and 4 beautiful kids and fervent love for the Lord, the Scriptures, and the people he Pastors.

The visiting was great, but most of the trip was DRIVING. I was a little concerned for myself, because just driving through Nebraska the last time I did it was sooooo boring. This time, I honestly can not think of a time I was bored. On the whole trip. To pass the hours, Dad and I listened to John Piper's sermon series on Romans. Well, we started to, anyway. I think we got through sermon #50. Wow. I can't recommend those enough, I've been listening to them since I got home as well.

This year, as I look ahead to have more kids some time, and to homeschooling starting this fall and to whatever other ministries God has for us as a family, I have been thinking a lot about pressing forward toward maturity. I feel like I have been pretty stagnant in that area for a long time- like maybe I'm still that young teen who never cleans her room, except now I have a whole house with small children! Time to grow up! So, there has been dieting, and scheduling attempts, and lots of emphasis on self-control, and exercise and scripture memory and what-not going on in my life with great vigor for 6 months or so. . . But this sermon series is much better for pressing on to maturity than all of those things. Knowing that salvation is indeed found in resting in my Savior, but that the obedience of Faith comes out of that and is, in fact, part of Salvation. Maybe my 1:39 am brain can't explain that right now, but it has been a great encouragement. Understanding a little more about Sanctification and the Glory of God.

Hopefully, as I continue to grow in my understanding I can be helpful to Micah as he continues to throw out questions about life in the flesh ("But Mom, I believe in Jesus, but I still sin. Why?") and the problem of Evil ("Amy, God made bees to sting"). Well, that last one may not have anything to do with Problem of Evil, but it seems related to me.

School-wise: I'm thinking a lot about year-round school. I'm questioning whether Sonlight is really the right way to go, and whether the Wise-Bauer lot wouldn't be better. I'm wondering what in the world to do for phonics- I've decided Teach Your Child To Read in 100 Easy Lessons will be left to collect dust on a shelf.  I think the artificial text (with combination sounds like th and ing presented as one unit) wasted our time. Micah reads well within their typeset, but does not recognize these sounds outside of the book. Right now we are playing with Reading Eggs until the free trial runs out, since Micah enjoys this and I'm not sure what else to do. The curriculum fair is in less than a week, though! Very excited to get my hands on some of this stuff!

I love Amy. I over heard her telling Micah today, "I don't like it when people are hurt. It makes me sad." I pray her heart stays soft.

Oops. Coffee wore off, goodnight.

No comments:

Post a Comment